Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Co-Teaching Benefits (Patty VanAlstyne)

Question: Dear Patty,
Since co-teaching seems to be in the near future for us all and it is your first time in a co-teaching situation, I was wondering if you could ease my worries and concerns about co-teaching by shedding some positive light on your experience so far. What do you see as the pros of being a co-teacher?
Chevaugn Sasso

Let me start by saying that I love co-teaching! There are many positives, but I feel that the most important benefit of co-teaching is that it allows for much more individual contact with all students. It enables us to work one-on-one with our struggling kids as well as implement guided reading and strategy groups twice as often as we would on our own.

I also love the benefit of being able to plan together--it's great to be able to bounce ideas off of one another and to get feedback from someone on a regular basis.

If you have an open mind about co-teaching, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised once you give it a try--I say Go For It!
Patty VanAlstyne

No comments: